+ View AllEvents
Calendar of Events
- Full List
- Advanced Instrumentation Summer Workshop with Dr. Guangzhao Mao and Dr. Peter Hoffman
- July 7 2015 at 2:30 PMDanto Engineering Development CenterThe Office of the Vice President for Research is pleased to host the Advanced Instrumentation Summer 2015 Workshop on July 7, 2015 at 2:30 p.m. at 2564 Danto Engineering Develoment Center in the Engineering Building. The hosts will be Drs. Guangzhao Mao and Peter Hoffman. They will present, "Integrated Fluorescence and Atomic Force microscope for biophysics, biomaterials and nanomedicine studies." Combining optical and fluorescence imaging with force imaging and local force measurements at the nanoscale provides a powerful platform for a variety of cutting-edge areas of research. We have recently completed integration of a combined four-laser TIRF capable fluorescence microscope with a high resolution atomic force microscope (AFM), offering a variety of optical imaging modes (epifluorescence, TIRF, DIC and phase imaging) as well as force imaging, force mapping and local force measurements down to single molecule sensitivity. This unique combination is now available to researchers across Wayne State University. Examples of research enabled with this unique instrument includes imaging and measuring interactions of ligands or drug delivery particles with cell membranes, probing cell responses to mechanical interrogation or combing force sensing with advanced fluorescence techniques, such as FRET. Possible applications span areas of drug delivery and nanomedicine, single-molecule biophysics, cell mechanics, tissue engineering, nanoscale (bio-)materials and cancer biology. Please join us to learn more about the unique capabilities of this new core instrumentation and bring your ideas of how you may want to use this new facility! The lecture and tour is open to all students, faculty and staff. Registration is required to attend this event.
- Regional Anesthesia for Painless Labor
- July 8 2015 at 7:00 AMHarper University HospitalFeaturing Padmavathi Patel, M.D. Presented by the WSU Department of Anesthesiology.
- Journal Club
- July 8 2015 at 7:30 AMHarper University HospitalFeaturing Drs. Patel and Rose. Presented by the WSU Department of Otolaryngolgy.
- More Events
Summer Fellowship Research Program
Summer Fellowships in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry at Wayne State University School of Medicine
- Application deadline is March 16, 2015
- A stipend of $3500 for 3 months full time work (May - August period).
- Open to undergraduate students majoring in biology, biochemistry, chemistry and physics who have completed their sophomore year.
- Awarded on the basis of academic achievement, experience, and commitment to basic research.
- An opportunity to learn modern research techniques in biochemistry and molecular biology and to gain research experience for entry into the biomedical and biotechnical fields.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents with a minimum GPA of 3.0
Application forms are available from:
Summer Research Fellowship Program
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Wayne State University School of Medicine
540 East Canfield Ave., Detroit, MI, 48201
Department Faculty Research Interests